Monday 20 July 2015

Miss Pinup New Zealand 2015 - My Entry

I was constantly battling with myself whether to enter Miss Pinup New Zealand 2015. "Am I ready? The other girls entering are so amazing. I think I need more time to promote myself before entering". These are only a couple of silly thoughts racing through my mind as I once again, tried talking myself out of challenging myself. Since the beginning of 2014 I knew I wanted to compete in Miss Pinup NZ. Deep down I knew it would be an amazing opportunity and a great way to get myself out there. With a lot of support and help from my friends,  I pushed my doubts aside and went for it. 

To enter Miss Pinup New Zealand you need to submit 3 professional quality, pinup style photographs of yourself; answer 5 questions; and submit a 2 minute video showcasing yourself and a talent. 

Check out my entry: 

Questionnaire: 

1.       Tell us about yourself?

I am Soda Fontaine, Pinup Girl and Burlesque Performer :) 
My first burlesque show was back in December 2011 and I have been hooked ever since. I was involved in theatre back in the day so Burlesque appealed to me in the sense that you can be the complete master of your own show. Also all the sparkles and glitter helped lure me in too. My main burlesque style is 'cheesecake' and I tie in my love for pinup into my performances. My pinup fashion style is generally ‘modern pinup’. I love dressing in my bold coloured swing dresses, tiki/rockabilly outfits and alternative goth/punk pinup attire. Aside from my alter ego activities, I have a love for travel, various genres of metal music, anything nautical themed and collecting art.


2.       What is about vintage and pinup culture that you love? 

What I love most about vintage and pinup culture is how it makes me feel. With the outfits, hair and makeup all tied together, I feel so glamorous. Dressing in pinup style is a real confidence booster, when I am out and about I always seem to receive friendly smiles and compliments from strangers. It’s lovely! I also love how the vintage and pinup culture has allowed me to meet so many amazing and talented people.


3.       Who is your favourite pinup icon and why? (Past of  Present) 

This is a tough one; there are so many pinup icons that have aspects that inspire me. However, I do favour Micheline Pitt and Bettie Page but I shall explain why Micheline is my favourite. Aside from the fact that Micheline models and designs for one of my favourite clothing labels, she is my ultimate style inspiration. Micheline has an art for collaborating modern and classic vintage/pinup fashion flawlessly. I love the gothic/punk edge she puts into her pinup style. As I am a bit of an alternative metalhead, this appeals to me very much. I also admire Micheline’s hair and makeup artistry, it is perfection.


4.       What would winning the title of Miss Pinup NZ mean to you?

Winning the title would be a dream come true and mean I would have achieved an ultimate goal. Winning the title would create fantastic exposure to promote myself and my pinup profile further. I feel it would create opportunities to be featured in pinup magazines and to compete in international pinup competitions. It will also help provide more involvement within the local pinup/vintage community.


5.       What is your top tip for being a pinup? 

Confidence :) No matter your shape or size, a pinup requires confidence within herself. It takes courage to step in front of the camera and work a pose. You need to feel comfortable rocking your pinup/vintage style. I also feel it’s important to encourage other pinups and women to fulfil their true potential. These aspects require confidence which in turn creates what it takes to be a true pinup. 

Photos: 
Photo by Photographers Inc

Photo by Miss T Pinups

Photo by Photographers Inc

Video Entry: 



A massive thank you to my friends Charlotte and Scott for creating this video. My entry would not have been possible with out them. 
Filmed and Edited by Scott Dugdale-Wright. Check out Scott's YouTube channel called Rycon Roleplays.https://www.youtube.com/user/ryconroleplays
Directed by Charlotte Dugdale-Wright. Check out Charlotte's Instagram: papertoplatinum

Tips for your Miss Pinup NZ entry is to portray your personality; ensure your photographs have range; and to get creative with your video. Remember not to take it personally if you don't make it through. Work hard on building your pinup profile and try again the following year :) 

I found out I made into Miss Pinup NZ in a really special way which was part of a certain YouTube channel. All will be revealed in a few months time. 

To compete in Miss Pinup NZ, you need to showcase on stage a day wear outfit, a beach wear outfit, evening gown attire, and finally, a talent. The competition takes place at The Very Vintage Day Out in Auckland on a weekend in April. 

Up next on the blog, I provide details on my day wear outfit :) 

xx Soda Fontaine xx 

No comments:

Post a Comment